Saturday, February 23, 2008

Babies and Baseball Broadcasters

So the news this week is that my sis Lani had her baby on Friday - a little girl named Lilah...they should have pictures up on their blog soon I believe, so check them out. They are all doing well, so congrats to them on numero quatro...

The other big news this week was, again, from the baseball world - though of a much more heartening nature than the last piece baseball news I shared. Dave Niehaus, the Mariners broadcaster since their inception in 1977 (31 years now), was finally voted as the Ford C. Frick award recipient this year. For those of you who don't know, [almost everyone] this essentially the highest honor a baseball broadcaster can receive. It means he gets inducted into the Broadcasters Wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY this summer - along with the likes of Mel Allen, Vin Scully, and Harry Caray. The announcement came this Tuesday, on his 73rd birthday. Way to go Dave! This is actually the most excited I have been as a Mariner fan since 2001. To put it simply, Dave Niehaus IS Mariners baseball to me. Having listened to him almost exclusively for all my baseball loving years, I associate his voice with the glory of the game more than anything else. And on a professional level, he truly is as good as they come. I have never heard an announcer who can match his ease, descriptiveness, and professionalism yet. In fact, having been spoiled by Niehaus, most play-by-play announcers make me cringe. He can hold your attention without over-talking/reacting, and can relate the ambiance and feel of the ballpark better than anybody. And although he is the M's biggest cheerleader, he never criticizes the other team (as many announcers do), but is always very complimentary of them. I could go on, but since I'm already risking being called a nerd again, I'll simply encourage you to check out some of these links...If you are a baseball fan you will appreciate them. And if you aren't yet, then perhaps, as he has done for thousands of others, Dave can help you become one.

This is a link to a USSM post regarding Niehaus. The author, Dave Cameron, eloquently states how most M's fans (myself included) feel about the honor...go ahead and read the comments too - you'll find I'm not the only nerd around here.

Here's a link to one of the many articles on the Mariners website and MLB.com. I highly encourage you to click the video link at the top of the article entitled "31 Years of Niehaus." (Stupid MLB.com is pretty stingy with their content. I've never yet found a way to even link directly to their player, much less embed video anywhere.)

And here's an ESPN article about Dave...and found in the middle of it are several audio clips of some of Dave's classic calls. Well worth a listen.

So there you go...all in all a pretty good week.

3 comments:

Dena said...

yo, brotha from anotha motha.

long time no talk.

Lani said...

Hey, when are you going to post about your latest news? :>)

Leslie said...

I too thank you for keeping up on Mariner's news... I still need to sign up for MLB... I'll probably do the Cable one since the game is so much better on the big screen verses the computer. Love your posts. (and you)
Mom