Saturday, October 6, 2007

Street Scene


So a couple of weeks ago I ended up scoring a couple of tickets to Street Scene from a lady I work with, who scored them from someone she used to work with etc... Jess and I had been wanting to go, but there was no way we were going to shell out that many clams for a good time. I had known there was a chance I would end up getting free tickets, but didn't think it was a very good chance, so I didn't say anything to Jess about it until I knew for sure (which was the day beforehand.) Anyway, long story short we ended up spending that Saturday afternoon there and had a pretty good time. I had gone down to Tecate that morning with Brady to shoot some video for a True Light Ministries project thing, so I was pretty wiped...but it was still sweet. The highlight for me, of course, was seeing Matt Costa play. He had a full band and played alot of new stuff...and it rocked. Even though he was on a small side stage, and the mix wasn't that good. Plus he had to compete with some other groups that were playing on other stages - the most noticeable being some rap group somewhere nearby, which made for some humorous moments and comments. (My favorite being when Matt Costa mentioned that he didn't know what they were doing "over there, but over here we're gonna play some MUSIC...") After his set, everyone was yelling for him to play "Sunshine" cause had neglected to do so...but they were ready to tear down the stage and he had to quit, so we walked away rather dejectedly...until Jess spotted him grabbing his guitar and running off the side of the stage. So we booked it back, and sure enough he was hanging out and playing unplugged for/with the 20 or so people that hung around....it was awesome. We also saw (among others) Augustana, and I was actually pleasantly surprised at their quality and depth (i had only heard that one radio song up until then.) And we saw Panic at the Disco, which was entertaining. The highlight for Jess though was the headliner for the night - Muse. They surprised me by actually opening their set with "Knights of Cydonia," and followed it with more well-crafted (if not strange) music. I have to admit they are a little weird, but they did put on an impressive show. The only show I ended up missing that I wanted to see was G Love and Special Sauce. Well, plus I wish I could have gone back on Sunday to see The Killers and Brand New, but you know what they say about beggars and choosers...So anyway, there you have it. Street Scene: Lots of music, lots of fun, lots of drunk people making out in the mosh pits, coming home and smelling like pot...All in all a good time.




(I have a few more pics on myspace)

No comments: